Wednesday, August 15, 2012

No Fail Pralines - Free Recipe by Sister Raya of New Orleans




Pralines...the most delicious candy confection from the Deep South. I crave them; I want them; I dream about Pralines. Warm sugary caramel swirled around freshly picked Louisiana pecans and left to cool on wax paper.  Within a few magical minutes the caramel hardens into a lopsided circle that tastes like candy crossed with a  pecan laden cookie. The flavor is so wonderful that it makes you just want to hold each bite on your tongue to make it last.

After trying many recipes and failing miserably I decided to give up on trying to make these tasty treats.  Every time I tried to make pralines on the stove, I ended up with a burnt pot of charred sugar and incinerated pecans.

But, alas, not all was lost! The "praline muse" intervened and led me to a recipe on how to make real pralines in the microwave. Yes, the lowly microwave. There was no way this would work, I thought.  But, my desire to make my own pralines was stronger than my doubt. So I rolled up my sleeves and carried out the microwaved mission.

After I made my first batch my eyes rolled back in my head. The microwave version was the best I had ever tasted!  Easy, quick and delicious!

So I am now passing this recipe along to you. You will be amazed and so will your friends.  Join my mailing list for my monthly newsletter. Cooking tips, southern recipes, my original folk art and more!


Sister Raya's No Fail Pralines 

Ingredients

    • 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
    • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
    • 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1-2 cups pecans, whole or chopped

  1. Line baking trays with waxed paper and set aside.
  2. In a large (2 quart) microwave safe glass bowl, combine the sugars and cream. Microwave on high for 6 minutes.
  3. Stir well and microwave for another 6 minutes.
  4. Stir well, adding the butter and vanilla. Heat for another 2 minutes.
  5. Beat until glossy and thick (1-2 minutes). Drop by spoonfuls on waxed paper to set.






No comments:

Post a Comment